Music Raqs Workshop /MUSIC LITERACY for DANCE
A complete 4 hour course to help dancers and musicians learn how to understand and teach Arabic music topics without needing an instrument nor any previous training.
* learn how to identify and sing 7 major Arabic maqam scales, along with famous song examples *
* learn how to clap and voice 10 major Arabic iqaat rhythms, along with famous step examples *
* learn all the major music terms, in Arabic and English, that are relevant to a dance performance *
* learn cultural and linguistic references related to each melody and rhythm, promoting accuracy *
* learn movements and traditional combination steps that help communicate each musical topic *
* learn the basics of reading sheet music, to help understand melody & rhythm accurately *
* receive a document of all rhythms, scales, terms, and famous Arabic words for your reference *
Who is Karim Nagi?
– Mr. Karim Nagi is a native Egyptian drummer, DJ, composer and folk dancer. He is the creator of Turbo Tabla, and has released four internationally distributed CDs of this unique brand of Arab House/Electronica using acoustic instruments. Karim has authored instructional DVDs for the Tabla/Doumbek, Riqq tambourine, Maqam & Taqsim, Drum Solo for Dance, and Arab Folk Dance. He is well versed in the ultra-traditional styles of music, and has lead the Sharq Arabic Music Ensemble since 1999. He promotes and fosters the study of Arab dance in the USA as the director of the Arab Dance Seminar. Karim performs and teaches Tahteeb Cane Dance, Dabka Line Dance, and Zikr Sufi Dance. He taught at the New England Conservatory of Music for 5 years, and has lectured and presented at Harvard, MIT, Yale, Bowdoin, Princeton, Stanford, William & Mary, Georgetown, and several Community Colleges. Additionally, Karim Nagi’s Arabiqa program has conducted over 300 school assemblies across America, exposing young audiences to Arab traditional arts. His performances boast a dynamic concoction of live drumming and dance, done in unison. Because of his proficiency in both music and dance, his workshops deliver students to a new physical understanding of the connection between these two disciplines. As a dance and drum teacher, Karim has taught in dozens of festivals in the United States, Asia, Europe and Cairo, as well as all major Arab Culture festivals in the USA. Karim Nagi is a true crossover artist, uniting the Cabaret and Tribal, Traditional and the Modern, the Ethnic and the Urban.
Saturday, October 10th
11:00am to 3:00pm
$60 PayPal before October 3rd or $70 Cash at the door